The TentBox Classic is ready to mount to your vehicle straight out of the box.
If you have any questions regarding the installation or use of your TentBox, please get in touch with our support team. Do not install your TentBox if you do not understand these instructions.
Key safety information
You must ensure that:
- You have purchased roof bars that: are made by a reputable manufacturer; are authorised for usage in conjunction with your vehicle; have been tested (e.g. GS-tested); and have an adequate load limit for the TentBox model you are installing.
- You have installed your roof bars safely and securely as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Your TentBox is installed safely and securely as per our fitting instructions.
- Your TentBox is closed fully and securely with the closing straps when driving.
- You regularly check that your roof bars are securely fixed to your vehicle as per the manufacturer's instructions and that none of the components are damaged.
- You regularly check that your TentBox is securely fixed to your roof bars and that none of the components are damaged.
- You never drive faster than 70mph when you have a TentBox installed on your car.
- You give due consideration to the change in your vehicle's drive behaviour when a TentBox is installed on your car, taking into account side-wind sensitivity and corner and breaking behaviour.
- You give due consideration to the change in your vehicle's height when a TentBox is installed on your car. The height of your vehicle can increase by up to 90cm (dependending on your roof bars), so beware of low entrances and low-hanging branches.
Please be careful when unboxing your TentBox, and take extra care with children around. It's a large and heavy product, with a number of moving parts and mechanisms that could cause injury if care isn't taken.
It's important to check your TentBox thoroughly when first opening them, to ensure any metal shards that may be present from the manufacturing process are removed before use. Although we clean these out before packaging the TentBox, in some cases more trapped shards can fall out during transit and the final delivery. Please make sure to double check and use a hoover to remove any more shards you do find.
Mounting to your vehicle
You must ensure that the fixing clamps are adequately tightened, so that your TentBox is securely fixed to your roof bars.
The friction of the fixing clamps against your roof bars holds your TentBox securely to your car, so you must make sure the nuts are adequately tightened to prevent any movement.
We recommend that you give the TentBox a hard shove in each direction, especially from the front and back in the direction of the fixing rails, to ensure there is no movement.
- With the help of at least one other person, carefully lift your TentBox onto your roof bars and position centrally.
- Clamp the TentBox to your roof bars at 4 points using the fixing clamps provided:
- First, drop a bolt through one of the small metal fixing plates and slide the plate along the rail on the underside of the TentBox, so that the thread of the bolt drops down next to your roof bar.
- Repeat the previous step until you have two bolts dropping down on either side of each roof at each of the four clamping points.
- Using the nuts provided, tighten one of the U-shaped fixing clamps onto two of the hanging bolts until it is securely fastened to your roof bar. Repeat this step for all four clamping points. You must ensure that the nuts are adequately tightened, and that the fixing clamps are securely fastened against your roof bars at all four clamping points.
In order to avoid generating excessive lifting forces, your TentBox should be mounted parallel to the line of the road and not at an angle.
Using your TentBox
Opening your TentBox Classic
Release the buckles at one end of your TentBox, gently push on the upper shell and repeat... it really is that simple!
Ensure that you only unbuckle and open one end at a time.
Opening the porch on your TentBox Classic
The porch poles are located inside a separate bag within your Tentbox so keep an eye out.
- Hook one end of a porch pole into the eyelet.
- Slot the other end of the pole into the hole at the base of the TentBox.
- Repeat with the other pole, and your porch setup is complete!
Using the ladder on your TentBox Classic
To extend: hold the ladder on the outside edge, and pull it to extend.
To collapse: push the black buttons inwards and collapse each section at a time.
In transit: when stowing the ladder inside the TentBox before closing, make sure it is positioned centrally so that it does not get trapped in the support struts.
- Please be careful of your fingers as the ladder can drop suddenly.
- Do not let children use the ladder while unsupervised.
- Ensure the ladder is as vertical as possible for your vehicle's height.
Closing your TentBox Classic
- Leave the end windows of your TentBox open slightly, to allow air to escape.
- Pull the TentBox closed at one end using the long closing strap, then gently tighten the closing buckles.
- Pull the other end closed and ensure all side fabric has been tucked away inside, before tightening the straps securely.
- Pulling upwards on the closing straps makes tightening a little easier.