Before your TentBox Lite XL is ready to use, you need to first mount your ladder to the TentBox Lite XL, and then mount the TentBox Lite XL to your car. This article explains this process in detail.
If you have any questions regarding the installation or use of your TentBox, please get in touch with our support team. Do not install your TentBox if you do not understand these instructions.
Key safety information
You must ensure that:
- You have purchased roof bars that: are made by a reputable manufacturer; are authorised for usage in conjunction with your vehicle; have been tested (e.g. GS-tested); and have an adequate load limit for the TentBox model you are installing.
- You have installed your roof bars safely and securely as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Your TentBox is installed safely and securely as per our fitting instructions.
- Your TentBox is closed fully and securely with the closing straps when driving.
- You regularly check that your roof bars are securely fixed to your vehicle as per the manufacturer's instructions and that none of the components are damaged.
- You regularly check that your TentBox is securely fixed to your roof bars and that none of the components are damaged.
- You never drive faster than 70mph when you have a TentBox installed on your car.
- You give due consideration to the change in your vehicle's drive behaviour when a TentBox is installed on your car, taking into account side-wind sensitivity and corner and breaking behaviour.
- You give due consideration to the change in your vehicle's height when a TentBox is installed on your car. The height of your vehicle can increase by up to 90cm (dependending on your roof bars), so beware of low entrances and low-hanging branches.
Please be careful when unboxing your TentBox, and take extra care with children around. It's a large and heavy product, with a number of moving parts and mechanisms that could cause injury if care isn't taken.
It's important to check your TentBox thoroughly when first opening to ensure any metal shards that may be present from the manufacturing process are removed before use. Although we clean these out before packaging the TentBox, in some cases more trapped shards can fall out during transit and the final delivery. Please make sure to double check and use a hoover to remove any more shards you do find.
Attaching your ladder to your TentBox Lite XL
- Locate the ladder brackets, as shown in the image below.
- Pull back the pins, slot the ladder in to the gap in either bracket, then release the pin. The yellow labels on the ladder should be facing outwards (away from the TentBox).
Mounting to your vehicle
You must ensure that the fixing clamps are adequately tightened, so that your TentBox is securely fixed to your roof bars.
The friction of the fixing clamps against your roof bars holds your TentBox securely to your car, so you must make sure the nuts are adequately tightened to prevent any movement.
We recommend that you give the TentBox a hard shove in each direction, especially from the front and back in the direction of the fixing rails, to ensure there is no movement.
- With the help of at least one other person, carefully lift your TentBox onto your roof bars and position centrally.
- Clamp the TentBox to your roof bars at 4 points using the fixing clamps provided:
- First, drop a bolt through one of the small metal fixing plates and slide the plate along the rail on the underside of the TentBox, so that the thread of the bolt drops down next to your roof bar.
- Repeat the previous step until you have two bolts dropping down on either side of each roof at each of the four clamping points.
- Using the nuts provided, tighten one of the U-shaped fixing clamps onto two of the hanging bolts until it is securely fastened to your roof bar. Repeat this step for all four clamping points. You must ensure that the nuts are adequately tightened, and that the fixing clamps are securely fastened against your roof bars at all four clamping points.
In order to avoid generating excessive lifting forces, your TentBox should be mounted parallel to the line of the road and not at an angle.
Using your TentBox
Opening your TentBox Lite XL
- Undo the long, over the top, velcro straps holding the travel cover in place.
- Unzip the travel cover. Only three sides have a zip - the final side will stay attached to the TentBox.
- Roll up the travel cover and use the velcro straps to hold it in place.
- Fold your TentBox out, using the ladder for leverage.
- Extend the ladder to the correct height. Make sure there is not too much of an angle, as it will put unnecessary strain on the ladder. The ladder does not act as the sole support for the fold-out part of your TentBox, but it does add extra support, so it must be kept in place whilst inside.
- Double check that all the moving parts have folded out into position, paying particular attention to the position of the hinge, the inner U poles, the outer U poles, and the fabric. Make any required adjustments before unzipping or using the TentBox.
Ensure that the hinge is correctly engaged before climbing into your TentBox. Due to its size, where the two base sections meet on the TentBox Lite XL (the area underneath, between the hinges) can require additional attention to ensure it locates properly. If required, you can put a slight upwards force whilst underneath the folded-out TentBox to fully lock it into place. If you have any questions about this, please contact us.
Using your TentBox Lite XL poles
10 tent poles will be included with your TentBox Lite XL. You use these to prop open the rain covers for the windows and doors.
- Slot the poles into the holes provided around the base of your TentBox.
- Bend the pole up to hook them into the metal eyelets fitted on the TentBox fabric.
- Note, on the TentBox Lite XL there are 4 poles for each door, and 1 on each window.
It's important to install the pole into the base first, before bending it upwards to connect with the eyelets. It's also very important to make sure you are standing to the side when installing the poles, so that if you miss the eyelet, the pole does not spring into you.
Using the ladder on your TentBox Lite XL
- Pull the ladder outsides to extend it.
- Push the black buttons inwards to collapse it.
- Please be careful of your fingers as the ladder can drop suddenly.
- Do not let children use the ladder while unsupervised.
- Ensure the ladder is as vertical as possible for your vehicle's height.
Closing your TentBox Lite XL
- Remove all the tent poles.
- Fold the TentBox closed, using the ladder. Reduce the height of the ladder, so that it sits flush with the edge of your TentBox. Do not close the ladder all the way, otherwise, it will be hard to open it again next time.
- Ensure the fabric on the sides are tucked in thoroughly, otherwise the travel cover will not fit properly.
- Tighten the velcro straps.
- Unroll the travel cover, then use the zip to secure it round the edge of the TentBox Lite XL.
- Apply the two long closing straps over the top of the travel cover, to ensure that your TentBox is secure and ready for the road.
Guy ropes are not required for the TentBox Lite 2.0 or XL in normal conditions, but we do recommend using them if you're camping in high winds.
When using guy ropes, we recommend attaching one end to the D loops under the base, and the other to either the wheel, or a high quality ground peg, as show below.