Before your TentBox Lite 1.0 is ready to use, you need to first mount your ladder to the TentBox Lite 1.0, and then mount the TentBox Lite 1.0 to your car. This article explains this process in detail.
If you have any questions regarding the installation or use of your TentBox, please get in touch with our support team. Do not install your TentBox if you do not understand these instructions.
Key safety informationYou must ensure that:
- You have purchased roof bars that: are made by a reputable manufacturer; are authorised for usage in conjunction with your vehicle; have been tested (e.g. GS-tested); and have an adequate load limit for the TentBox model you are installing.
- You have installed your roof bars safely and securely as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Your TentBox is installed safely and securely as per our fitting instructions.
- Your TentBox is closed fully and securely with the closing straps when driving.
- You regularly check that your roof bars are securely fixed to your vehicle as per the manufacturer's instructions and that none of the components are damaged.
- You regularly check that your TentBox is securely fixed to your roof bars and that none of the components are damaged.
- You never drive faster than 70mph when you have a TentBox installed on your car.
- You give due consideration to the change in your vehicle's drive behaviour when a TentBox is installed on your car, taking into account side-wind sensitivity and corner and breaking behaviour.
- You give due consideration to the change in your vehicle's height when a TentBox is installed on your car. The height of your vehicle can increase by up to 90cm (dependending on your roof bars), so beware of low entrances and low-hanging branches.
Please be careful when unboxing your TentBox, and take extra care with children around. It's a large and heavy product, with a number of moving parts and mechanisms that could cause injury if care isn't taken.
It's important to check your TentBox thoroughly when first opening to ensure any metal shards that may be present from the manufacturing process are removed before use. Although we clean these out before packaging the TentBox, in some cases more trapped shards can fall out during transit and the final delivery. Please make sure to double check and use a hoover to remove any more shards you do find.
Attaching your ladder to your TentBox Lite 1.0
- First, you need to mount the ladder brackets. As shown in the images below, line the bracket up with the holes on the base of the TentBox, push the bolts through the brackets and the holes in the TentBox, then from the inside of the TentBox slide the spacer over the bolts, before using the nuts to secure tightly.
- Once the brackets are installed, simply pull back the pins, slot the ladder in to the gap in either bracket, then release the pin.
Mounting to your vehicle
You must ensure that the fixing clamps are adequately tightened, so that your TentBox is securely fixed to your roof bars.
The friction of the fixing clamps against your roof bars holds your TentBox securely to your car, so you must make sure the nuts are adequately tightened to prevent any movement.
We recommend that you give the TentBox a hard shove in each direction, especially from the front and back in the direction of the fixing rails, to ensure there is no movement.
- With the help of at least one other person, carefully lift your TentBox onto your roof bars and position centrally.
- Clamp the TentBox to your roof bars at 4 points using the fixing clamps provided:
- First, drop a bolt through one of the small metal fixing plates and slide the plate along the rail on the underside of the TentBox, so that the thread of the bolt drops down next to your roof bar.
- Repeat the previous step until you have two bolts dropping down on either side of each roof at each of the four clamping points.
- Using the nuts provided, tighten one of the U-shaped fixing clamps onto two of the hanging bolts until it is securely fastened to your roof bar. Repeat this step for all four clamping points. You must ensure that the nuts are adequately tightened, and that the fixing clamps are securely fastened against your roof bars at all four clamping points.
In order to avoid generating excessive lifting forces, your TentBox should be mounted parallel to the line of the road and not at an angle.
Using your TentBox
Opening your TentBox Lite 1.0
- Undo the long, over the top, velcro straps holding the PVC cover in place.
- Remove the PVC cover.
- Undo the closing straps which hold the TentBox closed (in the corners, opposite the hinge)
- Fold your TentBox out, using the ladder for leverage.
- Extend the ladder to the correct height. Make sure there is not too much of an angle, as it will put unnecessary strain on the ladder. The ladder does not act as the sole support for the fold-out part of your TentBox, but it does add extra support, so it must be kept in place whilst inside.
Ensure that the hinge is correctly engaged before climbing into your TentBox. If you have any questions about this, please contact us.
Using your TentBox Lite 1.0 poles
8 tent poles will be included with your TentBox Lite 1.0. You use these to prop open the rain covers for the windows and doors, which is essential to the set-up of your TentBox Lite 1.0 to ensure it effectively keeps water out.
- Slot the poles into the holes provided around the base of your TentBox.
- Bend the pole up to hook them into the metal eyelets fitted on the TentBox fabric.
It's important to install the pole into the base first, before bending it upwards to connect with the eyelets. It's also very important to make sure you are standing to the side when installing the poles, so that if you miss the eyelet, the pole does not spring into you.
Using the ladder on your TentBox Lite 1.0
- Pull the ladder outsides to extend it.
- Push the black buttons inwards to collapse it.
- Please be careful of your fingers as the ladder can drop suddenly.
- Do not let children use the ladder while unsupervised.
- Ensure the ladder is as vertical as possible for your vehicle's height.
Closing your TentBox Lite 1.0
- Remove all the tent poles.
- Fold the TentBox closed, using the ladder. Reduce the height of the ladder, so that it sits flush with the edge of your TentBox. Do not close the ladder all the way, otherwise, it will be hard to open it again next time.
- Ensure the fabric on the sides are tucked in thoroughly, otherwise the PVC cover will not fit properly.
- Tighten the velcro straps.
- Apply the PVC cover, making sure that it is attached to the velcro all the way around.
- Apply the two long closing straps over the top of the PVC cover, to ensure that your TentBox is secure and ready for the road.